WHAT IS A CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP?
There are challenges associated with caring for an older adult. Quite often caregivers ignore their own physical and emotional health. They generally don’t recognize the symptoms of stress that they are experiencing. Attending a caregiver support group has the ability to ensure that the caregiver is effective in providing care, without feeling burnt out and isolated. The group provides the caregiver with the comfort of knowing that they are not alone.
THE BENEFITS OF BELONGING TO A CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP:
There are three major advantages of being in a caregiver support group. They are:
- Encourages companionship among participants
- Relieves stress and the feeling of isolation
- Promotes an atmosphere conducive to sharing strategies and learning about community resources.
The question when put to the two caregiver groups drew the following response: “We like both the sharing and the educational component of the meeting. We gain new insights in dealing with situations as others talk about their experiences.” Group camaraderie has lead to sharing contact information with the future prospect of attending off-site events together that address specific aging and caregiving topics.
Regarding the educational component of the meeting, guest speakers have included representatives from service organizations such as Detroit Area Agency on Aging, the PACE Program (All Inclusive Care for the Elderly), and experts in fields that caregivers have expressed an interest.
Our presenters: https://eldercaregiversolutions.org/presenters/
- Wanda E-R Edwards, Mental Health Psychologist, Doctor of Nurse Practitioner, and faculty member of Wayne State University speaking on Medication Management, Delirium, Dementia and Depression
- Attorney Kathleen Graham, Neighborhood Legal Services
- Professor Sue-Ann Sweeney, Director, Aging Studies Program, Madonna University
- Dr. Dorothy Jenkins, Psychologist and Consultant, School of Social Work, Wayne State University
Eldercare & Caregiver Solutions will provide information covering a wide range of topics on aging issues for which caregivers find themselves involved.
Marilyn hosts two Caregiver Support Groups on the second Thursday of each month from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Detroit Unity Temple, 17505 Second Avenue @ Whitemore , Detroit, MI 48203
First time attendees should call (313) 289-9672 to register and confirm schedule times.
Click on the link below to view the caregiver support group flyer.